Tel: +65 6499 4827
Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Systems and Design
- M.S., Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley (1977-82)
- Diploma of Electrical Engineer, National Technical University, Athens, Greece (1972-77)
Recent CV (pdf)
- Network economics and pricing of network services. Pricing is considered as an important tool for improving network performance by controlling congestion and incentivizing the adoption of new efficient protocols. Network economics and game theory define the framework for obtaining fairness in terms of network resource usage, defining incentive compatible pricing schemes, and leading to a multi-service self-managed Internet. Current research topics include crowd sensing, protocol design for moving large amounts of delay-insensitive data in the Internet, pricing of interconnection, economics of cyber-physical system security, cost-sharing in large sensor networks.
- Sharing Economy. Our main focus is in shared mobility and logistics. ISE at SUTD supports multidisciplinary research in collaborative consumption built around the economic and behavioural aspects of sharing, with application to government policy and enabling ICT platforms.
- Smart Grids and demand response. Focus on the use of incentives to make consumers reveal their flexibility in scheduling their electricity loads. Design of mechanisms for managing the energy consumption in buildings that take into account the preferences of the occupants.
- Regulation in telecommunications and energy. Topics include network costing, auctions, network neutrality, spectrum allocation, fines for telecom operators, relevant markets and competition issues, market design, deregulation issues, design of fines.
- Grid/cloud computing economics and infrastructure sharing. Economic and business issues in the new computing paradigm, where infrastructures are shared and software applications and hardware are provided as services in open markets.
- Energy efficient software design. Algorithms for power efficiency in computations, load balancing and scheduling.
- Formal methods for the specification and verification of concurrent systems with emphasis in systems with real-time and randomization. Development of efficient algorithms and tools for the verification of real-time systems such as computer communication protocols, asynchronous circuits, switching software. Real-time extensions of temporal logic and automata.
Europe: (see Network Economics and Services Group, AUEB)
- ASPIRE (Advancing Security of Public Infrastructure using Resilience and Economics), focus on economics of cyber-physcical infrastructure security.
Selected Recent Presentations
- C. Courcoubetis, L. Gyarmati, N. Laoutaris, P. Rodriguez, K. Sdrolias. “Negotiating premium peering prices: A quantitative model with applications”, under revision, ACM Transactions on Internet Technologies [pdf].
- C. Courcoubetis, A. Dimakis, and M. Kanakakis. “Congestion Control for Background Data Transfers with Minimal Delay Impact”, submitted for publication [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, L. Duan, and Y. Li. “When Crowdsensing Meets Routing: Incentive Mechanisms to Motivate Heterogeneous Participants”, submitted for publication [pdf].
- S. Benjaafar, G. Kong, X. Li, and C. Courcoubetis. “Modeling and Analysis of Collaborative Consumption in Peer-to-Peer Car Sharing”, NetEcon’15 [pdf].
- T. Wang, Y. Xu, S. D. Ahipasaoglu, and C. Courcoubetis. “A Fair Bayesian Incentive Compatible Mechanism”, CDC 2015 [pdf].
- G. Birmpas, C. Courcoubetis, I. Giotis, and E. Markakis. “Cost-sharing Models in Participatory Sensing”, Symposium on Algorithmic Game Theory (SAGT) 2015 [pdf].
- A. Kostopoulos, A. Dimakis, C. Courcoubetis. “Economic Incentives for Adopting Congestion Accountability Protocols”. 26th International Teletraffic Congress (ITC 26), Karlskrona, Sweden, September 2014 [pdf].
- C. Courcoubetis, A. Dimakis. “Fair Background Data Transfers of Minimal Delay Impact”. IEEE INFOCOM, Orlando, Florida, March 2012 [pdf].
- C. Courcoubetis, R. Weber. “Economic Issues in Shared Infrastructures”. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol 20, issue 2, 2011. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis and A. Dimakis. “Tariffs, Mechanisms and Equilibria at a Single Internet Link”. NETCOOP, 2009. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, A. Dimakis, “Congestion Control and Pricing of Volume Intensive Applications”. ITC 21, Paris, September 2009. [pdf]
- G. Thanos, E. Agiatzidou, C. Courcoubetis, G. D. Stamoulis. “Grid Business Models”, Book Chapter 5, Grid and Cloud Computing: A Business Perspective on Technology and Applications, ISBN: 978-3-642-05192-0, Springer, November 2009. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, R. Weber. “Economic Issues in Shared Infrastructures”. VISA 2009 Workshop, Barcelona, Spain, August 2009. ACM. [pdf]
- R. Mason, C. Courcoubetis, N. Miliou. “Grid Economics and Business Models”. 6th International Workshop, GECON 2009, Delft, The Netherlands, August 2009. [pdf]
- D. Antos, C. Courcoubetis, G. D. Stamoulis. “Economic aspects of building software for service-oriented architectures”. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 2009. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, C. Kalogiros, R. Weber. “Optimal Call Routing in VoIP”, ITC 21, Paris, September 2009. [pdf]
- C. Kalogiros, C. Courcoubetis, P. Antoniadis, “WOICE: a Decentralized System for Ubiquitous VoIP Services”, DIGIBIZ 2009, London, June 2009. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, M. Dramitinos, T. Rayna, S. Soursos and G. D. Stamoulis “Market Mechanisms for Trading Grid Resources”, In Proc. of 26th International Workshop on Grid Economics and Business Models [Gecon 2008], pp. 58-72, Las Palmas, Spain, August 26, 2008 [pdf].
- J. Altman, C. Courcoubetis, G. D. Stamoulis, M. Dramitinos, T. Rayna, M. Risch and C. Bannick, “GridEcon: A Market Place for Computing Resources”, In Proc. of 26th International Workshop on Grid Economics and Business Models [Gecon 2008], pp. 185-196, Las Palmas, Spain, August 2008 [pdf]
- M. Dramitinos, G. D. Stamoulis, C. Courcoubetis. “An Auction Mechanism for Allocating the Bandwidth of Networks to their Users”. Elsevier IEEE Computer Networks, 51:18 pp 4979-4996, December 2007 [pdf].
- G. Thanos, C. Courcoubetis, G. D. Stamoulis. “Adopting the Grid for Business Purposes: The Main Objectives and the Associated Economic Issues”. The 4th International Workshop on Grid Economics and Business Models, GECON 2007, Proceedings, Pages 1-15, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS 4685), Springer 2007. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, S. Soursos and R. Weber. Pricing Resources on Demand, Proc. of the 1st IEEE International Workshop on Bandwidth on Demand (BoD 2006), In conjunction with IEEE Globecom 2006, November 27, 2006, San Francisco, California, USA [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis and R. Weber. Incentives for Large P2P Systems, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Telecommunications. [pdf]
- M. Dramitinos, G. D. Stamoulis and C. Courcoubetis. “A Random Walk Model for Studying Allocation Patterns in Auction-based Resource Allocation”. In Proc. of 5th International Workshop on Advanced Internet Charging and QoS Technologies (ICQT 2006), Springer LNCS 4033, pp. 26-37, St Malo, France, June 27, 2006 [pdf]
- M. Dramitinos, G. D. Stamoulis and C. Courcoubetis. “Auction-based Resource Reservation in 3G Networks Serving Multicast”. 15th IST Mobile Summit, Myconos, Greece, June 2006 [pdf]
- P. Antoniadis, C. Courcoubetis, and B. Strulo. “Incentives for Content Availability in Memory-less Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Systems”. ACM SIGecom Exchanges, 5(4):11-20, July 2005. [pdf]
- M. Dramitinos, G. D. Stamoulis, C. Courcoubetis. “An Innovative Decision Support System for Bidding in Simultaneous Ascending Auctions”. In proceedings of 7th IEEE Conference on E-Commerce Technology (IEEE CEC 2005), Munich, Germany, July 19-22 2005.
- P. Antoniadis, C. Courcoubetis, and R. Weber. An Asymptotically Optimal Scheme for P2P File Sharing. In Second Workshop on the Economics of Peer-to-Peer Systems, Harvard University, 2004. [pdf]
- P. Antoniadis, C. Courcoubetis, and R. Mason. Comparing Economic Incentives in Peer-to-Peer Networks. Special Issue on Network Economics, Computer Networks, Elsevier, 45(1):133-146, 2004. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis and R. Weber. Asymptotics for Provisioning Problems of Peering Wireless LANs with a Large Number of Participants. WiOpt’04: Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc and Wireless Networks, University of Cambridge, UK, March, 2004. [pdf]
- Vasilios A. Siris, Costas Courcoubetis, and George Margetis. Service differentiation and performance of weighted window-based congestion control and packet marking algorithms in ECN networks. Computer Communications. Volume 26, Issue 4, 1 March 2003, Pages 314-326. [pdf]
- M. Dramitinos, C. Courcoubetis, G. D. Stamoulis, Auction-based Resource Reservation in 2.5/3G Networks, Kluwer/ACM Mobile Networks and Applications [MONET] special issue, 2003. [pdf]
- C. Courcoubetis, A. Dimakis, G.D. Stamoulis, Traffic Equivelance and Substitution in a Multiplexer with Applications to Dynamic Call AdmissionControl. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking.