Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Systems and Design
Tom Magnanti, the SUTD President, is an Institute Professor and former Dean of Engineering at MIT. He has devoted much of his professional career to education at the interface of engineering and management, and to teaching and research in various aspects of large-scale optimization. His university administrative activities have focused on education for technically-grounded leaders, industrial and international partnerships, research in emerging technical domains, technology-based entrepreneurship, and diversity. He has received numerous educational and research awards and four honorary degrees, been president of three professional societies, editor of a major journal in his field, and served on several corporate and university boards. He is a member of the U.S. National Academy of Engineering and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Syracuse University, 1967
- M.S. Statistics, Stanford University, 1969
- M.S. Mathematics, Stanford University, 1971
- Ph.D. Operations Research, Stanford University, 1972
- Applied Mathematical Programming (with S. Bradley and A. Hax), Addison-Wesley, 735 pages, 1977.
- Network Flows: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications (with R. Ahuja and J. Orlin), Prentice Hall, 846 pages, 1993.
- On the Number of Latent Subsets of Intersecting Collections (with D. J. Kleitman), Journal of Combinatorial Theory, 16(2), 215-220, March 1974.
- Equilibria on a Congested Transportation Network (with H. Aashtiani), SIAM Journal on Algebraic and Discrete Methods, 2(3), 213-226, September 1981.
- Network Design and Transportation Planning: Models and Algorithms (with R. T. Wong), Transportation Science, 18(1), 1-55, 1984.
- A Dual-Based Procedure for Large Scale Uncapacitated Network Design (with A. Balakrishnan and R. T. Wong), Operations Research, 37, 716-740, 1989.
- Modeling and Solving the Two-Facility Network Loading Problem, (with P. Mirchandani and R. Vachani), Operations Research, 43, 142-157, 1995.
- Heuristics, LPs, and Trees on Trees, Network Design Analyses (with A. Balakrishnan and P. Mirchandani), Operations Research, 44(3), 478-496, 1996.
- Solving Variational Inequalities and Fixed Point Problems by Averaging and Optimizing Potentials (with G. Perakis), Mathematical Programming, 101 (3): 435-461, 2004.
- A 2-Path Approach for Odd-Diameter-Constrained Minimum Spanning and Steiner Trees (with Luis Gouveia and Cristina Requejo), Networks 44 (4): 254-265, 2004.
- Strong Formulations for Network Design Problems with Connectivity Requirements (with S. Raghavan), Networks, 45 (2): 61-79, 2005.
- Variable Disaggregation in Network Flow Problems with Piecewise Linear Costs (with K. Croxton and B. Gendron), Operations Research 55 (1):146-157, 2007.
- Maintenance Scheduling for Modular Systems: Modeling and Algorithms (with R. Levi, J. Muckstadt, D. Segev, and E. Zarybnisky), Preprint, July, 2013