Tel: +65 6499 4730
Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Systems and Design, Science and Math
I received my BMath degree from Universidad Central de Venezuela, in my hometown Caracas, where I also worked as an Instructor teaching undergraduate maths courses. Later on, I completed my PhD in pure mathematics at the University of Melbourne under the supervision of Arun Ram and Craig Westerland.
Before joining SUTD, I worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow and Assistant Professor in the Department of Mathematics at the University of Western Ontario, and as a software developer for an independent project in London, UK.
- Ph.D. Science, University of Melbourne. 2013
- BMath, Universidad Central de Venezuela. 2009
My research to date sits at the interface of algebraic combinatorics and homotopy theory, more specifically in Schubert calculus problems. For my bachelor’s thesis I worked on topics of differential geometry and algebraic topology in the form of de Rham cohomology. I am currently also interested in the pedagogy of mathematics and exploring areas of applied maths.
- O. Ortiz, GKM theory for p-compact groups. Journal of Algebra, Vol. 427 (2015), pp. 426-454
- Greg Hjorth biennial Memorial Prize, most outstanding postgraduate thesis in mathematics. University of Melbourne, 2014
- Melbourne International Research Scholarship. University of Melbourne, 2010 – 2013
- José Félix Ribas Medal, Academic Achievement. Ministry of the Presidential Office and National Youth Institute, Venezuela, 2005
- Semifinalist, 26th Venezuelan Mathematics Olympics. 2001