The course will introduce the students to the basic ideas of simulation and its use in the analysis of various systems. It will cover the following topics: Use and examples of simulation, General principles, Statistical models, Random number generators, Analysis of simulation data, Applications.
At the end of the term, students will be able to:
- Build a simulation model of a real system using a software package and be able to exercise this model to analyse and understand system behavior
- Analyse input data to determine simulation input parameters and distributions and analyse output data so as to develop estimates of system behavior and draw inferences on relative performance.
- Validate a simulation model relative to an existing system.
- Design an experiment using a simulation model to estimate the treatment effects attributable to a set of control variables.
- Be able to make judgments about what to include or exclude from a model, and explain why
- Be able to analyse and make sense of simulation outputs, and use these for operational and design decision support
- Be able to debug a simulation model and validate its correctness, both in logic and in fit to the real world
- Be able to use a simulation for conducting an experiment on a simulated engineering system
- Be able to use simulation package to build a simulation model