Dr Zhao Fang is a Senior Lecturer in the Engineering Systems and Design Pillar (ESD) at Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). She has an inter-disciplinary background with expertise in machine learning, communication networks, and travel surveys. Prior to joining SUTD, she has led a research team in the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology to develop the Future Mobility Sensing technology, which is now recognized as state of the art in passenger travel survey systems. She is also involved in the commercialization and application of this platform for travel surveys in cities around the world.
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2010
- M.Eng., Electrical Engineering, National University of Singapore, 2001
- B.Eng., Electrical Engineering, National University of Singapore, 2000
Machine learning, mobility behaviour data collection and analysis, transportation
- André, A., C. Cheng, T. H. Dao, S. Takanori, F. Zhao, M. Ben-Akiva, L. Cheah, “Online and in-person activity logging using a smartphone-based travel, activity, and time-use survey,” Transportation Research Interdisciplinary Perspectives, Volume 13, March 2022.
- Hong. S., F. Zhao, V. Livshitsa, S. Gershenfeld, J. Santos, and M. Ben-Akiva, “Insights on data quality from a large-scale application of smartphone-based travel survey technology in the Phoenix metropolitan area, Arizona, USA,” Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, vol 154, pg. 413-429, December 2021.
- Roddis, S., S. Winter, F. Zhao, R. Kutadinatad, “Respondent preferences in travel survey design: An initial comparison of narrative, structured and technology-based travel survey instruments,” Travel Behaviour and Society, vol. 16, July 2019, Pages 1-12.
- Danaf, M., B. Atasoy, C. L. Azevedo, J. Ding-Mastera, M. Abou-Zeid, N. Cox, F. Zhao, M. Ben-Akiva, “Context-Aware Stated Preferences with Smartphone-Based Travel Surveys,” Journal of Choice Modelling, vol. 31, June 2019, Pages 35-50.
- Zegras, C, M. Li, T. Kilic, N. Lozano-Gracia, A. Ghorpade, M. Tiberti, A. I. Aguilera, F. Zhao. “Assessing the representativeness of a smartphone-based household travel survey in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania,” Transportation, vol. 45, no. 2, 2018.
- Ben-Akiva M., T. Toledo, J. Santos, N. Cox, F. Zhao, Y. J. Lee, and V. Marzano, “Freight data collection using GPS and web-based surveys: Insights from US truck drivers’ survey and perspectives for urban freight,” Case Studies on Transport Policy, vol. 4, issue 1, pages 38-44 March 2016.
- Zhao, F., F. C. Pereira, R. Ball, Y. Kim, Y. Han, C. Zegras, and M. Ben-Akiva, “Exploratory analysis of a smartphone-based travel survey in Singapore,” Transportation Research Record (TRR): Journal of the Transportation Research Board, vol 2494, 2015.
- Zhao, F., M. Médard, D. S. Lun, and A. Ozdaglar, “Convergence study of decentralized min-cost subgraph algorithms for multicast in coded networks,” IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, 60(1): 410-421, January 2014.
- L. Lima, M. Kim, F. Zhao, J. Barros, M. Médard, R. Koetter, T. Kalker, and K. Han, “On counteracting Byzantine attacks in network coded peer-to-peer networks,” IEEE JSAC on Mission Critical Networks, vol. 28, issue 5, 2010.
- Zhao, F., M. Médard, D. S. Lun, and A. Ozdaglar, “Minimum-cost subgraph algorithms for static and dynamic multicasts with network coding,” book chapter in New Directions in Wireless Communications Research, Springer, 2009.
- Zhao, F., G. Mathew, and B. Farhang-Boroujeny, “Techniques for minimizing error propagation in decision feedback detectors for recording channels,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol 37, issue 1, pages 592-602, Jan 2001.
- Pyke Johnson Award, US Transportation Research Board (TRB), for best paper in the area of environment and planning, 2015