Nuno Ribeiro is an Assistant Professor with the Engineering Systems and Design Pillar at Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD).
He received his Ph.D. in Transport Systems from the University of Coimbra (Portugal). In his research, he develops and apply operations research methods to support the decision-making process in transportation system management. During his Ph.D., Nuno has developed a novel decision-making tool for airport schedule coordination. The tool is aimed to support airport slot coordinators to perform demand management interventions at congested airports in a way that reduces imbalances between demand and capacity, while promoting attractive schedules of flights for the airlines and passengers. Nuno’s work has received attention from academia and industry stakeholders reflected in several research awards, such as an honorable mention for the best student presentation by the INFORMS Aviation Applications Section, and the Anna Valicek Medal by the AGIFORS.
During his stints as a Ph.D. student, Nuno also held visiting research positions in MIT and Carnegie Mellon University.
- Ph.D. in Transport Systems, University of Coimbra (Portugal), 2019
- M.Sc. in Civil Engineering – Area of Expertise in Urbanism, Transportation and Transportation Infrastructures, University of Coimbra (Portugal), 2014
- Ribeiro, N. A., Jacquillat, A., Antunes, A. P., and Odoni, A. (2019). Improving slot allocation at Level 3 airports. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 127, 32-54.
- Ribeiro, N. A., Jacquillat and A., Antunes, A. P. (2019). “A Large-scale Neighborhood Search Approach to Airport Slot Allocation”, Transportation Science, Forthcoming.
- Ribeiro, N. A., Jacquillat, A., Antunes, A. P., Odoni, A. R., and Pita, J. P. (2018). “An optimization approach for airport slot allocation under IATA guidelines”. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 112, 132-156.
- Tralhão, L., Sousa N., Ribeiro, N. A., and Coutinho-Rodrigues, J. (2014). “Design of bicycling suitability maps for hilly cities”, Proceedings of the ICE – Municipal Engineer, 168(2), 96-105.
Awards and Honors
- Winner of the Anna Valicek Award from the Airline Group of the International Federation of Operational Research Societies (AGIFORS) – 2018
- Honourable Mention, Best Student Presentation Competition, INFORMS Aviation Applications Section – 2017
- PhD Scholarship, MIT Portugal Program from 2015 to 2019
- “3% Best Student Award” in academic year 2012/2013, University of Coimbra