Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Systems and Design
Assistant Professor Lynette Cheah (SUTD)
Moshe E. Ben-Akiva (MIT)
Gopal is pursuing his PhD in Future Urban Mobility under the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART). As a civil servant in India, Gopal has a rich industry experience in the rail transportation sector. His earlier assignments included heading the network operations of the Mumbai suburban rail system and the transportation of petroleum products by rail in India. He is currently working on research projects in urban freight (road sector) in Singapore.
- Masters in Business Administration, Faculty of Management Studies, University of Delhi (2002)
- Bachelor of Technology (Mechanical Engineering with minor in Computer Science), Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (1997)
- Singapore-MIT Alliance Fellowship, 2015
- National Award for Outstanding Service, Ministry of Railways, Government of India, 2008
- General Manager’s Award for Outstanding Service, Western Railway, Government of India, 2005
- Ranked 146th among 300,000 candidates in the Indian Civil Services Examination, 1998
- Merit Certificates for academic excellence, Indian Institute of Technology, 1993-95
- All-India rank 514 among 150,000 candidates in the Joint Entrance Examination for admission to the Indian Institutes
of Technology, 1993
Publications and Patents
- Raja Gopalakrishnan, Narayan Rangaraj. “Capacity Management on Long-Distance Trains of Indian Railways”,
Interfaces (2010) 40(4): 291-302.
- Atul Bhasker, Prashant K.Purohit, Raja Gopalakrishnan, Narendra K. Gupta, Indian patent No.230585 titled “A
Hingeless Foldable Panel System”, Feb 2009.